Caesarea Maritima (also Caesarea Palestinae; Greek: Παράλιος Καισάρεια, Parálios Kaisáreia) is an Israeli National Park in the Sharon plain, including the ancient remains of the coastal city of Caesarea.
The city and harbor were built under Herod the Great during c. 22–10 BC near the site of a former Phoenician naval station known as Stratonos pyrgos (Στράτωνος πύργος). It later became the provincial capital of Roman Judea, Roman Syria Palaestina and Byzantine Palaestina Prima provinces. The city was populated throughout the 1st to 6th centuries CE and became an important early center of Christianity during the Byzantine period, but was mostly abandoned following the Muslim conquest of 640. It was re-fortified by the Crusaders, and finally slighted by the Mamluks in 1265. (Wikipedia)